3 Month Postpartum Progress

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Time to check in!






Starting to see a little bit of progress, nothing crazy but it was only a month a part so I'll take it! The reason I'm ok with posting these completely unperfect pictures of myself is because I know I'm going to only continue improving my body, I won't look like this forever!


So this is what I've been doing so far to get into shape:
  • Give Yourself a Cheat Day!
    • You will end up binging if you don't give yourself that one day to look forward to. To be honest, once I get to the cheat day I forget what it was I wanted to eat so bad, and I end up eating healthy anyway! My cheat day is every Saturday.
  • Drink Lots of Water! (And Only Water!)
    • We've all heard it before, "Don't drink your calories" and there's a reason for it! I would so much rather eat some nice cheesy spinach artichoke dip then drink soda, juice, sport drinks, etc… during the week. So that's what I do! If you want orange juice, actually eat the orange. If you want apple juice, eat the apple. It has valuable fiber anyway! And if you must drink that soda, save it for your cheat day! Make it a treat you look forward to.
  • Diet Soda is a Big No!
    • The left side is the mouth of someone who abuses meth,
      and the right side is the mouth of someone who drinks a lot of diet coke.
      Um, no thanks! I'd rather keep my pearly whites!
    • Ugly Smiles
      • Everyone I know that drinks diet soda knows that it's terrible for them, yet they continue to drink it. Why?! They just did a study that diet soda decays your teeth just as much as meth and cocaine (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57586640/diet-soda-erodes-teeth-as-much-as-meth-crack-case-study/). 
    • Makes Fat Stick to You
      • Not only is diet soda toxic to your teeth, but also to your insides and your weight-loss quest as well. Diet soda has an ingredient called aspartame in it, when aspartame goes into your body it warms up and converts into formaldehyde (yep, that liquid that they store organs in to preserve them). At 86 degrees F (our bodies typically run above 97 degrees) aspartame turns into formaldehyde and makes fat cells STICK TO the formaldehyde molecules. Staying in your body forever! You are better off drinking the actual sugar in regular sodas because you can excrete it! (http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/04/saccharin-aspartame-dangers.aspx)
    • Only REAL food, no artificial anything
      • I try and avoid all diet anything. Anything with artificial sweeteners are things that I don't willingly eat. 
  • Know what you are eating
    • Look at the Ingredients
      • Like I said before, I try and avoid anything with added artificial sweeteners. But next time you break into your bag of Doritos (or any processed foods) take a look at the listed ingredients, if you don't know what some of the listed ingredients are, you shouldn't eat it!
    • Fake Food Creates Obesity
      • One book I strongly recommend is "Master Your Metabolism" by Jillian Michaels. It's about how all of the preservatives and artificial sweeteners in our food are responsible for America's obesity epidemic. They ruin our metabolism
    • Hunter and Gatherers Diet
      • If you don't know what it is, don't eat it! I try and eat by a "hunter and gatherers" diet. Pretty much if you can go out and hunt it, or grow it, then eat it. If it has to be made in a factory first, then forget it!
    • They say losing weight is 70% diet and 30% exercise, if you don't make the effort in the kitchen then you're not going to see the results in the gym.
  • Don't eat after 7 PM
    • I try and make my last meal before 7 PM and I don't put anything in my mouth (besides water) until breakfast. And don't skip breakfast! It kick starts your metabolism and should be one of the first things you do in the morning (within 30 minutes of waking up). Any later than that your body thinks it has to go into starvation mode and will begin storing what you eat.
  • Exercise

    • Walk, Walk, walk
      • Sam works, a lot. That means I have very little time to go to the gym unless I can find someone to watch Jake for me. So if I work out, Jake has to come with me! I got a jogging stroller and we go on walks in the morning. Not just your typical walk around the block, I'm talking at least 4 miles walks but usually around 6 or 7 mile walks. In fact I went on an 8 mile walk with my mother-in-law and sister-in-law the other day.
    • Fat Burning Zone
      • I started off with a 3 mile walk and felt like I had shin splints after it, but now I can go on an 8 mile walk without being sore at all the next day (probably means I should step it up a little). I try and walk fast paced to keep my heart rate in the fat burning zone; for me that's 140-160 beats per minute. Any higher than 160 bpm puts me in the cardio zone and means i'm mostlly just working out my heart. Which is still great! But I'd rather melt off that fat for now. You can calculate you're fat burning heart rate zone HERE.
    • Heart Rate Monitor
      • I recommend getting a personal heart rate monitor-- I used to have a heart rate monitor that you would just strap to your chest and get on your way but it broke a while back. They run around 100 dollars so I'm saving up to get another one soon. It gives you the most accurate number of calories burned as well!
    • Gym Time
      • When I can go to the gym I usually do an hour of low intensity cardio. Usually I'll hop on the elliptical for an hour at a 4 resistance (just enough to break a sweat and have my heart rate in the fat burning zone). If I feel like I can go more than an hour of cardio at the gym, and I have time to, I do it!
      • After cardio I go do some weights, but this is definitely an area I need to improve on. The more muscle you build, the higher your metabolic activity is going to be. The more you lift, the more calories you will burn (while resting) during the day. If you don't know what to do, go to a class at your local gym. When I was in Ogden I used to go to the Gold's weightlifting class on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. If you are starting from ground zero it's good to go to the classes because the teachers can help show you the correct form. Take it easy the first class, because you will be dead sore. But don't give up! 
      • Also, don't shy away from lifting weights because you don't want to get "bulky", there is no way (as a woman) you will get "bulky" just by lifting weights. Those women who are professional body builders are doing a heck of a lot more than lifting weights!

      This is what woman think is going to happen if they lift weights... ahahaha. Yeah not going to happen!
        That's more like it! (This is my goal body! Follow her on instagram @italianbikinigirl)

In a nut shell, that's all i've been doing the past couple of months to lose the weight. I still have quite a bit to go to get to the body I want, but I'm not giving up! Losing weight has become too complicated, don't be blind sided by all of the meal plans, work out videos, and supplements. Entrepreneurs are just creating companies to capitalize off of something they know everyone wants--to be in shape! But all of those companies know that there is only one secret to getting in shape… you ready for it? Working out and eating clean! But they can't let people know that can they! ;)

Britney Munday

UPDATE: I lost the weight, and I'm pregnant now! And guess what? I'm going to keep working out, lifting weights, and eating healthy THIS WHOLE PREGNANCY.  Because PREGNANCY IS NOT AN ILLNESS. We should strive to be our healthiest when we are growing another human? Don't you agree? Baby doesn't need in n out and nutella to grow strong, baby needs a mama who is eating a healthy diet and maintaining her health. Ya know?! So now, my blog will be focused on keeping that motivation through your pregnancies so you're not stuck with SO MUCH UNNECESSARY BABY WEIGHT at the end of them. No more of that "I'm eating for two" so you grab another big mac... you only need an additional 300 calories a day during your pregnancy... not 1,000. I learned that the hard way! My goal is to have a healthy weight gain of 25 to 35 pounds, if I gain more than that I won't be disappointed because I will have known that I've been staying healthy. At the end of the day that's all that matters. So follow me by subscribing to my blog on bloglovin, by entering your e-mail on the right side of my blog, or on instagram at @britneymunday. Let's do this!

52 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. Agreed, and I love the simple, actionable diet and exercise tips because they stress your overall health, and the best thing you can do for your weight loss is to approach your weight loss as a combination of habits that promote a healthy lifestyle. That's what separates a good weight loss strategy from those destined to fail. In fact, check out the following article that does a wonderful job of explaining the key factors in an effective, long-term weight loss strategy: fatfreeme.net/big5

      Delete
  2. This is exactly what I've been looking for! Thanks for all of the tips and for setting a great example! You look great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look fantastic! I love that you also thought to take pictures of your face. I'm pregnant with twins right now and was told to gain 35-50 pounds (on top of the 30 pounds I didn't lose from my first baby) so I'm definitely looking forward to getting back in shape after I have the twins. :) Your photos are inspirational, thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting! Congratulations! I know how you feel, towards the end of my pregnancy I was getting so excited to be able to work out again and get my body back. Good luck with everything!

      Delete
  4. I've had a flat tummy my whole life so being pregnant has been an adjustment, to say the least! I'm due in November so I'm not even that big yet. But I'm so excited to follow your journey and start my own in a few months! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! I was the same way... It's a huge adjustment having that change in body image! We'll get our bodies back! :)

      Delete
  5. Congrats on your baby! I had my baby in November and I have lost all of the weight (43 pounds) and even a couple of more beyond, but holy moly...my skin!!! It's got to go back at some point! :) In reality, this was my second baby. My first child is 5 and I also gained 70 pounds with her and thought the same thing about others who "let themselves go while pregnant". I got back to 130ish but never lost the final 10ish. I'm looking forward to following your blog! Thanks for sharing your goals, recipes, and thoughts! Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that's great you lost all the weight so quickly! Congrats on your babies too! Glad you like the blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look great!! It is wonderful to see how you are losing the weight in a steady and healthy way. I am pregnant with twins (babies #3-4)and you are an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your journey. :)

    Renee @ fitformotherhood.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! That's so exciting! And thank you :) that makes me happy to hear! At first losing all of the weight can se like such a daunting task... But it can be done! Sooner or later we will get all this baby weight off! :)

      Delete
  8. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! Don't give in, you can do it!! :)

      Delete
  9. Thank you for sharing your journey. I look forward to your posts and helpful tips. As a new mom who has 30lbs of baby weight to lose, you are an inspiration! :) Excited to follow your blog and progress!

    www.lifewithloker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it! We can lose the weight together! I'd love to hear about your progress as well! Keep it up!

      Delete
  10. Seriously totally inspirational! My baby just turned 10 months and I'm feeling lost - love the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So happy to hear! I'll be posting more tips and recipes so check back! Or follow by e-mail to have them sent directly to your e-mail! Don't get discouraged, with clean eating and exercise the weight will come right off! You've got this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great blog! I'm not due until October so I'm just trying to get ideas and make a plan now : ) I was wondering, are you breast feeding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My baby never latched well and so I pumped exclusively for two months until my supply lagged. I wish that wasn't the case because there are COUNTLESS benefits of breast milk!

      Delete
    2. I'm certainly not a doctor or nurse, but the SAME thing happened with my little peanut. They found out she was "tongue-tied" after about the 6th time of me bawling my eyes out to help me and they said skin under her tongue was too tight so they just clipped a tiny piece and she started to latch so much better. Also I would just like to say I am new to your blog and it is incredibly inspiring to be healthy and realistic about attaining your goal.

      Delete
  13. Love your blog and how real you are. Im due in november and already showing and have gained 10lbs. We have been in the process of moving so I havent been able to continue my work out routine and craving not so healthy stuff which I dont give into all the time. What did you eat while preg and what are some meals you make now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel! During the first trimester I was nauseated so I would just eat whatever sounded good (which was always take out!) and then it just made a bad habit for the rest of my pregnancy! I recommend sticking to lean meats (chicken), vegetables and brown rice! That's what I plan on doing differently next time I'm pregnant, eating healthy the whole time so it's not a big change after I have the baby!

      Delete
  14. thank you so much for this blog! I just had a baby 3 months ago, and love reading what others are doing to get back to their pre-baby body! you look AMAZING! i am so glad i stumbled upon this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're so amazing and brave! Thanks for sharing and best of luck with your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really appreciate your simple diet and exercise plan, especially since it doesn't advocate diet pills or extreme measures to lose the baby weight. I too am working on losing my baby weight. My third baby was born 4 1/2 months ago and I'm now trying to lose everything I gained since I had my firstborn 5 years ago. Since the middle of July, I've been walking with my two best friends and their babies. Walking is really an excellent exercise for new (and experienced) moms, and you hit the nail on the head about drinking water!

    Congrats on your success, and may you continue to meet your goals!
    ~Marissa from Mommy Knows What's Best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel like so many people feel like sometimes the only way to lose the weight is extreme measures and diet pills. It's all about a permanent change towards a healthy lifestyle! Glad you like the blog, thanks for reading! :)

      Delete
  17. love love love!!!! you're GORGEOUS at any weight, this is inspiring as i once topped out at 212, lost 40lbs but am getting closer the baby phase of life and i DREAD the impending weight gain that ive worked so hard to undo. this is inspiring :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow I love your story! I feel like I am not th only one out there that gained so much weight. I have always struggled a little with weight but when I got pregnant with my 18 month old I gained like crazy. Ever since I have not had the time between the baby and school to workout. On top of that I was put on the pill which also caused my body to want to retain more fat. I weighed 195 lb last week' :( I gained 35 lb just from the pill. Last week I dropped the sodas and I have lost 5 lb already!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that's amazing you dropped so much so quickly! Keep it up, you can do it!

      Delete
  19. Thank you for the inspiration I'm 34 weeks pregnant and I weight 163 pounds right now so my goal after I give birth to my daughter is 120 at the most but I would love to be 110.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be amazed at how quickly it will come off in the beginning, I was! For me losing the weight has just been a matter of staying on the right track and making a habit out of healthy eating and working out. Good luck with your weight loss journey, you can do it! :)

      Delete
  20. I love your blog! I'm 37 weeks pregnant and have gone from 155 pre pregnancy to 205 at my last appointment. I'm nervous about the snacking habits I've formed during pregnancy and how to make that change into a healthier option when I know I'll have even less time after baby comes. How did you do it. Going from eating take out to the healthier choices? By the way, you look really amazing and I appreciate that you advocate a slow and steady weight loss as a lifestyle, not a diet.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for what you said about artificial sweetners. They are in so many diet foods, plus most of those flavorings that you can add to your water. I personally avoid artificial sweetners due to migraines from them, but I don't allow my family to eat them either.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is great! I had my baby July 16, I only gained 20 lbs but the last ten are so stubborn!!! You are an inspiration and would love to see some of your great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Britney, are you still counting your calories? I am your height, and I was curious to see how many you eat in a day and how you modify your calories as you lose weight.

    ReplyDelete
  24. HI! I found you on Pinterest and thank you so much for listing EXACTLY what you are doing in PLAIN English! So many other sites give bits and pieces, but this is something as a working mom of 2 I can relate too and actually make happen in my life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am 7mths postpartum and don't look nearly that good ;) You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi !! First of all let me just say ...i think you are my pregnancy twin ! I too was 200 lbs the day i went in to have my little dimple darling and now at 6 weeks postpartum i am at 160. I had a little girl named Paige and she had a has a hard time latching as well so i pump and bottle feed my breast milk as well. The weight FLEW off at first just from breast feedung im sure and now that Ive received the all clear for exercise IM READY TO GET SEXY AGAIN !! I started out at 150 but my ideal weight and body is 135 . I am excited to take this jouney with you and check out your pictures/ recipes/ exercisez etc etc. Thankyou for making this blog :))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how do you not have any stretch marks? the skin on my belly is so at least I have so many stripes its really not motivating lol im 26

      Delete
  27. Good job you're doing great! I had my first baby around the same time-middle of march. I am 5'10" and hit 200 by the end of my pregnancy. My baby was HUGE-9 lbs. I lost most of my weight the first few months. Now 7 months later I'm at 160. It is so hard!!!

    Livingincolormom.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow- you have made significant progress!! Great job:) You are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Did you nurse your baby while getting back in shape?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for posting these true body pictures! It is giving me a lot of confidence right now. I'm 39 weeks, and just topped 200 lbs. That number hit me hard - and I was just sure I could never look good again! I'm excited to follow your advice, but the best thing for me is that you were able to lose the weight in your face - my face is holding all my weight, and I don't even recognize myself sometimes! I cried at the dmv when they took a new photo.. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for posting this (this comment is late obviously). I had my fourth baby in May and I have been DYING to get back to my prepregnancy weight. I was 122 when I got pregnant, 176 the day before my son was born and I have been stuck at 150 for months. I have only drank water (and coffee) since he was born, I watch what I eat, I don't have a cheat day, I work out almost every day either by walking, biking or doing Hip Hop Abs. I breastfed until very recently. I am getting so frustrated! I guess, though, I will just keep plugging away! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love your story. I was 180lbs before I gave birth. After giving birth I got stuck at 150lbs. I'm trying to get back to my prepregnany weight which was 120lbs. The baby fat on my stomach don't want to go away. I s gto started gym about 3 weeks now and it seems like I'm losing weight on my arms, face and legs but not my stomach. I try to do exercise on my stomach but not is working. Is it best if I wear a waist cincher on my belly all day. I want to know what is the best way to get it to go down quickly. I'm trying to lose this weight for my best friend wedding because I'm going to be one of the bridesmaid.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow! I got thrilled with the great results and bodies of these ladies. I am also a beneficiary of an organic weight loss tea that toned up my belly fat reducing almost 35 pounds extra from my belly.

    ReplyDelete
  34. its Nice
    a natural weight gain pills which helps underweight people gain weight naturally manner

    ReplyDelete
  35. AGREED, AND I LOVE THE SIMPLE, ACTIONABLE DIET AND EXERCISE TIPS BECAUSE THEY STRESS YOUR OVERALL HEALTH, AND THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR WEIGHT LOSS IS TO APPROACH YOUR WEIGHT LOSS AS A COMBINATION OF HABITS THAT PROMOTE A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE. THAT'S WHAT SEPARATES A GOOD WEIGHT LOSS STRATEGY FROM THOSE DESTINED TO FAIL. IN FACT, WOW I LOVE YOUR STORY! I FEEL LIKE I AM NOT TH ONLY ONE OUT THERE THAT GAINED SO MUCH WEIGHT. I HAVE ALWAYS STRUGGLED A LITTLE WITH WEIGHT BUT WHEN I GOT PREGNANT WITH MY 18 MONTH OLD I GAINED LIKE CRAZY. EVER SINCE I HAVE NOT HAD THE TIME BETWEEN THE BABY AND SCHOOL TO WORKOUT. ON TOP OF THAT I WAS PUT ON THE PILL WHICH ALSO CAUSED MY BODY TO WANT TO RETAIN MORE FAT. Thank you for
    sharing your article.

    ReplyDelete
  36. 1 reason is that diet pills are plagued for safety difficulties. You can find more details on Supplement Reviews - Highest Quality Supplements on The Market on the site phenqguide.com.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive

VIGLINK