Baked Salmon Recipe

Saturday, July 13, 2013



Salmon has always been one of those things that I know is good for me, so I try and make myself like like it and eat it just so I can get those health benefits. However, I recently found a salmon recipe that has completely changed my outlook on the little pink fish.  I swear this is 20 times better than any restaurant salmon I've ever had. It's even husband approved (which says a lot!). Plus, it's baked! You don't even have to fire up the grill!

Try and get wild Salmon whenever available. Farm raised salmon are fed pink pellets to increase      
the pink fleshy color of the salmon and are infused with antibiotics to combat unsanitary conditions of the farms. Farmed salmon has also been noted as not being environmentally sustainable. You can read more about it here and here. However, when it comes down to it, farmed salmon is better than no salmon at all. You will still get the benefits of the omega-3 fatty acids (helps with cancer prevention, better heart health, and healthy skin and hair) with farmed salmon. Read more about the health benefits of salmon here.

Salmon can get expensive. You may save some money by buying it frozen. I typically buy my salmon from Costco (getting wild salmon when available) and it never lets me down! Avoid buying salmon that has a "fishy" odor to it, it means that it's not as fresh.

Baked Salmon
Serves 4-6

2 lbs Wild Salmon (when available)
3 tbs light olive oil
1 tbs water
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbs parsley
1 lemon

1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.

2. Mix olive oil, water, garlic powder, basil, salt, pepper, parsley and juice of 1/2 lemon in a bowl. You can cut the other half of the lemon into wedges to squeeze over the salmon when done.

3. Line baking dish with aluminum foil and place salmon in dish (make sure aluminum foil is long enough to fold over in next step). Drizzle olive oil mixture over salmon.



4.  Fold over aluminum foil and seal edges. 


5. Cook salmon at 400 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until salmon easily flakes with a fork.

6. I typically eat my salmon with wild or brown rice. Brown rice is healthiest but rice-a-roni has a good wild rice mixture. Prepare according to package directions only substitute the butter for olive oil.
I also wanted to mention, when you're eating healthy there will be a lot of substituting olive oil for butter or vegetable oil. Olive oil can be expensive; however, I've found to get the most bang for your buck, buy it in bulk from Costco or Sam's Club! This whole container was only 10-15 dollars and it's lasted me months and months.

7. While salmon and rice are cooking, cook some kind of vegetable to get your veggies in. I like pairing my salmon with asparagus or my favorite baked green beans as shown (green bean recipe here!).

8. Enjoy your healthy and delicious meal! Eating health is so much easier when the food tastes this good! :)




















9. Package up those left overs and you have lunch/dinner for tomorrow! Yep, it's still good the next day! 


Give it a try? Let me know how it turned out!

Thanks for reading!
Britney Munday









9 comments :

  1. Thanks for this recipe! It looks delicious and I will definitely be trying this out. I'm trying to find some good easy ways to make fish since we don't currently eat it that often, but I want to! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it! I know how you feel, I don't normally eat too much fish but I crave this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude! We made this recipe shortly after I left that comment, and it was amaaaaaaazing. It was INSANELY easy, so aromatic and so flavorful and juicy. Love it! Making it again tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a taste pleaser, second time making it. Thanks Britney

    ReplyDelete
  5. Making this tonight for my son's 20th birthday celebration. Looks and sounds delish! :)

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive

VIGLINK