Healthy Banana Muffins

Sunday, June 30, 2013


So one of the staples to my breakfast diet are these delicious banana muffins. I love them because they’re healthy and great if you’re in a rush in the mornings (who isn’t?!).  They come out to about 120 calories each. I’ll usually have a regular Yoplait yogurt (don’t do the light ones… they have artificial sweeteners in them!) or a Chobani Greek yogurt (lots of protein… the more protein the merrier! It will keep you full longer throughout the day!). Plus you’ll get the valuable calcium from yogurt, don’t forget a good multivitamin in the morning!

One or two of these muffins, a yogurt, and a bottle of water.  Portable and ready to eat on the go!



Ingredients
2 1/2 cups of old-fashioned oatmeal
2 bananas
2 eggs (I’m going to try a batch with egg whites soon, I’ll let you know how they turn out! That would cut down on the calories even more!)
1 cup of vanilla flavored fat free yogurt
½ cup of sugar
1.5 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda

Heat the oven to 400 degrees and blend all of the ingredients in a blender on high. After I’ve blended them for a couple minutes I let the mixture sit for a bit so the oats can soften up, and then a blend for another couple of minutes. Grease the muffin sheet (I like to use the olive oil pam) and bake for 25 minutes give or take. I live at a high altitude so my muffins end up baking for about 30 minutes… but if you are closer to sea level you might be more around 20 minutes. Once they reach 20 minutes keep an eye on them and judge what best works for you. Once you can put a knife in them and it comes out clean, you’re good!

Tip of the trade, when I store these I put them in a zip lock back with a folded paper towel sheet. The paper towel soaks up the moisture so they don’t get soggy. Then just throw them in the fridge!

Seriously, when I bake these I’ll do like four batches and put a few in the freezer. Sometimes they taste even better after they’ve been thawed from the freezer. Weird I know!

Anyway, enjoy!! 

8 comments :

  1. These muffins are delicious! They aren't as sweet as your typical muffin and are more dense. Hence the HEALTHY! Just a word of cooking caution... I am in Denver (Mile High!) and found that 20 minutes was almost too long. I set the timer for 20 minutes and took them out immediately. I am going to toss some chopped walnuts in next time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh good to know! Crazy how cooking times vary that much with elevation. Glad you like them though! I'll have to give the walnuts a try next time!

      Delete
  2. Just made them for breakfast! I cooked them for 18 minutes instead and used Dannon Light &Fit vanilla yogurt. I can't wait to make these every Saturday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog. Can't wait to see your progress and join you at losing a few pounds and getting toned up. Def an inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you use greek yogurt in these?

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive

VIGLINK