Healthy Creamy Crockpot Chicken (only four ingredients!)

Monday, November 17, 2014

This, everyone, this is a crowd pleaser. If you make this and someone doesn't like it I'd like to talk to them personally ;) The best part about it? There's only FOUR ingredients. Four!

You're going to need...


Ingredients (6 to 8 servings)
2 packets of zesty Italian seasoning (Good Seasons Brand... usually by the salad dressings!)
12 oz (1.5 packets) of 1/3 less fat Philadelphia cream cheese
4 cups of chopped broccoli crowns
4 chicken breasts

oh... and one cup of water :)

Directions
1. Place chicken breasts in slow cooker with one cup of water and the two packets of Italian seasoning.
2. Cooking time is really subjective to your slow cooker. I put my chicken breasts in frozen on high and they were done within four hours! If you want to throw it in in the morning because you're going to be gone all day you should be just fine putting it on low.
3. Once chicken is cooked, shred it with forks.
4. Chop up broccoli, put in crockpot. Put 1 and a half packets of Philadelphia cream cheese in at this time as well. Stir well until cream cheese mixes with chicken broth.
5. At this time I turn my crockpot up to high to get the broccoli to soften up quicker.
6. While broccoli is softening up, cook either your brown rice or quinoa. Whatever you want as the base!
7. Top brown rice/quinoa with creamy chicken... and let your taste buds awaken!


I tried to figure out calories for this meal... It's hard to do it with the chicken because each chicken breast will be a different amount of ounces. I always hesitate saying something is healthy when it has cream cheese in it... but it's 1/3 less fat... and the cream cheese, seasoning and broccoli comes out to 1,040 calories (for the WHOLE crockpot)... So let's realistically say it serves 6 people... making it 173 calories. Add 4 oz of chicken breast... 283 calories!

I can feel good about that!


My mom has used this recipe forever... Not entirely sure where she got it from! I've seen some similar recipes on pintrest... but they include cream of chicken soup and other stuff. This recipe is DELISH without it. And seriously... with that many ingredients?! So effortless! Just throw it in and enjoy!


Try it? Let me know how it turned out for you!

XOXO Britney

P.S. Sometimes I'm great about updating my blog, sometimes I'm slow. But I'm always good at updating my instagram! If you'd like to follow me closer I'm on insta @britneymunday.





36 comments :

  1. I just made this-it's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this tonight and it was great! Congrats on your pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made this today and am eating right now. It is DELICIOUS. Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was great! I only did one packet of the seasoning since the sodium is astronomical, and only one packet of cream cheese (but used full fat), and it turned out really good! I eat lower carb, so I nixed the rice and used the full amount of food as 4 servings. Turned out to be 350cal, 28g protein, 21g fat (12 sat), 10 carbs, and 910mg sodium. Winner in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How should I I just this recipe for chicken thighs rather than chicken breast?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can we use Italian seasoning or does it have to be the dressing. thought I had some but don't

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you remove the chicken from the Crock-Pot while the broccoli is cooking and then add it back? How long does it take the broccoli to cook?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and how long do we cook broccoli once in the pot????

      Delete
    2. I gathered from the recipe that you leave the chicken in the crock pot while cooking the broccoli and you cook the broccoli until it is soft or at least as soft as you would like it to be.

      Delete
    3. I remove the chicken and shred it then add it back with the broccoli. I, also, remove a cup of broth and mix with the cream cheese with wisk then add back. It is fairly difficult to mix the cream cheese properly if you leave in the crock pot. I use liners which is probably why I do this the way I do.

      Delete
  8. Awesome! This is already my 2nd favorite crock pot chicken recipe and I haven't even tried it yet! Number 1? Chicken breasts, jar of salsa, packet of taco seasoning, 2 Tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder, walk away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please share with me how this tastes? I am very curious. Does the cocoa powder mellow anything out or enhance flavors? I have a very picky husband.

      Delete
  9. I think it adds depth of flavor and mellows out the tomato-y-ness. The original recipe didn't have the cocoa but I had been watching a lot of Food Network and you know how dangerous that can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then what? How do you eat it? Over rice??

      Delete
    2. I serve it over egg noodles.

      Delete
    3. I eat it with taco chips, a dollop of sour cream, and lettuce if I have it on hand.

      Delete
    4. I make the Salsa chicken (your recipe, with salsa and taco seasoning)
      without the cocoa powder, but when all is cooked I add a 1/2 cup of sour cream and serve over rice...DELICIOUS

      Delete
  10. Made this tonight, and it was a huge hit! I only used one packet of the regular Italian flavor (would love to try the zesty though), but I added about 1/2 T of dried Italian seasoning, 1/2 T herbs de Provence, and 1/2 t red pepper flakes. Cooked it on low for about 5.5 hours (plus about 15 min for the broccoli) I served it over whole wheat spaghetti tossed in garlic oil. Delicious! I could definitely see this as a base recipe for all kinds of variations of herbs and spices. I also put it in my Weight Watches app, and it's only 7 points per serving (6 servings) as written, and 6 points with only one Good Seasons packet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How would you make this in an Instant Pot? I mean adjustments for time and frozen vs. fresh chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're going to have your crockpot going all day (7+ hours) and it's not programmable, use low setting for either frozen or thawed chicken breasts.

      Delete
    2. When I do 3-4 medium frozen chicken breasts in my IP I use the poultry setting for 30 minutes.

      Delete
  12. Just tried it. Very good! It's definitely a keeper recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HEY! WAS YOUR CHICKEN FROZEN OR RAW WHEN STARTING? I REALLY WANT TO MAKE THIS!

      Delete
    2. If you're going to have your crockpot going all day (7+ hours) and it's not programmable, use low setting for either frozen or thawed chicken breasts.

      Delete
  13. Why does everyone feel the need to post comments without reading the instruction? It clearly gives every step, and yes, there are only 4. If you want to change anything to your liking, great, otherwise, for the love of God, only comment on how the recipes turned out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I mean seriously, how many times do we need to ask how long to cook chicken in a crockpot?? Its chicken in a crockpot, turn it on and check in a few hours. The point of crockpot cooking is the simplicity...people need to chill. All I want to read is how it tastes and what adjustments people made. Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that same thing. Enjoy your chicken!

      Delete
  14. I made this last night and it was delicious! My husband LOVED it! Instead of plain cream cheese, I used the Onion and Chive flavor. This dish is a MUST MAKE!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha, Ha! I am knew to all of this blogging thing (not to cooking!) and it's very funny how insecure people can be when making a recipe. Don't be afraid, it's the only way to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  16. One of my biggest pet peeves is someone who changes a recipe, adds this, doesn't add that, and then comes on here to say their family really didn't care for it and won't be making it again. What?? Don't come on here criticizing her recipe because you didn't make HER recipe, you made YOUR recipe and it was lousy, ya drain clog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Suki I agree with you I'm making it tonight

    ReplyDelete
  18. How many Weight Watchers points is this?

    ReplyDelete
  19. This recipe looks absolutely amazing! Can’t wait to make it! 😍

    -Bridget
    Creator/Head Writer
    Serving ALL Moms|The Breastfeeding Mommy
    www.TheBreastfeedingmommy.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. What size Italian dressing packet?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Do you put the broccoli and cream cheese at the end? Sorry, this wasn't clear to me

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds perfect for my plotting lunch, though I'm wondering if another vegetable might work besides (or with) the broccoli? My friends love broccoli, I don't (LOL) so I was thinking of adding sliced mushrooms, and/or zucchini, but wonder if they might water it down...? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I’m still trying to figure that out too as it’s not clear ! I’m making it now , doing my chicken on high, will add the cream cheese and broccoli in the Same pot at 3 1/2 hours if my chicken is done and let you know how it worked - I’m going to keep it all in there to mix together since you can’t really over cook chicken in a crockpot :)

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive

VIGLINK